innocent_man: (Default)
[personal profile] innocent_man
Annie is, of course, based on the stage musical (which I've never seen on stage, though my high school did it my senior year), which is based on a comic strip (which I've never read) and perhaps a radio show (which I've never heard). What I'm saying is that all I have for context for this character is this movie.

It's a musical. That means it's peppy, it's contrived and people break into song randomly. Generally I'm fine with that, but what I find about musicals is I like them much better live. In movies, it just seems...weird. Rather, classic musicals do. Musicals written for the screen (South Park, god help me, or even The Muppet Movie) seem to make more sense. And likewise, I've never seen a movie musical based on a stage show that stayed faithful. Little Shop of Horrors probably comes closest, and even then they completely changed the end (hint: onstage, it ain't so happy).

But anyway. Like I said, it's peppy. And I have to say, I like that Daddy Warbucks softens to Annie almost immediately, and that the whole show isn't about him trying to warm up. There's a progression to the character, and he's genuinely likeable, as opposed to an utter asshole who magically becomes likeable. Carol Burnett is also wonderful as Ms. Hannigan, the villain, and Tim Curry even shows up to chew some scenery as her even-more-evil brother. And, I have to say that the movie is impressively staged. Lots of jumps and flips and impressive dance numbers. No one skimps just because it's a movie.

So, as movie musicals go, it's good, and it's watchable, and my kids love it. One minor quibble: Got some serious magical Negro stuff going on with Punjab, but that may be direct from the comic strips (not that that really excuses it).

My grade: B+
Rewatch value: Medium-low

Next up: Best in Show

Profile

innocent_man: (Default)
innocent_man

January 2013

S M T W T F S
  12 345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 3rd, 2026 01:24 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios